Friday, July 16, 2010

An open letter to theists

In regards to religion, my stance is relatively strong, but not at all immovable or impervious to persuasion. Having said this, I have come across a subject within the realm of belief that I observe to be inconsistent with the actions and ideologies of those who abide by it.

To present this issue, I have a single question to ask to theists (preferably those who believe in a personal God). The question is derived from a discussion I've had with the authors of the blog "Aristophrenium".

They weren't kind enough to give me an answer at all, so I hope to get some sort of response from a similarly level-headed theist regarding this matter.

Here it is:

"How do you determine what is real and what is not real?"


I suspect this will give me more insight into the matter, and will accurately illustrate exactly where our point of disagreement is.


Thanks,
-Freddy

2 comments:

  1. First (for the sake of your readers), it was not "they" at the Aristophrenium. It was me; you asked the question to me in the comments field of an article I wrote. Let's leave the other three staff members out of this.

    Second, I was not "kind enough" to answer you because neither the question nor its answer had anything to do with the context of the article; i.e., it was an irrelevancy, and I do not engage in those. Others might have no problem pursuing irrelevancies, but that hardly obligates me. I stay the course when it comes to rationality.

    Third, it is interesting to note that you did not supply your readers with the context of your question. Allow me to do so. Tavarish said that he wanted to compose "a step-by-step refutation" of the article
    I had written, but needed me to answer that particular question before doing so. I declined, indicating that was a red herring—reasoning that misses the point, failing to address the actual issue in question—and said that I hope your step-by-step refutation does not engage in such fallacies of relevance as your question hinted at. In short, you asked your question in a fallacious context; it was not an innocent stand-alone question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I've asked you twice, specifically noting that the relevance of this question in regards to your initial text was relevant to my rebuttal, but it fell on deaf ears.

    I've also noticed that you took your time formulating 3 paragraphs in which you did exactly the same thing you're accusing me of - irrelevant banter.

    Please answer the question and don't get hung up on petty squabble. If it would please you, I'll edit the post so there is no mention of your blog - but only if you answer the question specifically.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete